Some of you have to work over the Thanksgiving holiday. It’s just another holiday where the news continues while our families gather around a Thanksgiving feast without us.
Ok let’s stop whining and think of a good story we can set up for Thanksgiving day or the day after.
Here are a few story ideas:
1. Review stories for the last 6 months and see who will probably have a very thankful Thanksgiving. A survivor from one of your hard news stories.
2. Call your local hospital and find out if there’s a new mom who has been waiting for a long time to have a baby. She must be very thankful. If that doesn’t work, how about doing a story on the nurses who work on Thanksgiving.
3. Call Child Protective Services. Maybe there is a foster child who is about to be adopted. Talk to the child and parents-to-be. Now that’s a great Thanksgiving story. This story will have to be set up earlier in the week. You can always find a family that adopted last year, and now they’re living happily ever after. Also a good time to remind parents to become foster parents.
4. Call your local fire department. They have been to house fires where families have been saved. Find that family who has rebuilt their lives and home. Maybe do a story on the team at a fire house as they are having Thanksgiving dinner. Go around and ask them their thoughts on being thankful.
5. Organ donor recipients. Find someone who is not only thankful he or she is here today, but also someone who met the family of the donor. Also your story can remind people to become organ donors.
Do you have another idea? Please share it in comments.
These are just a few ideas to keep you off the Black Friday shopping chaos . Happy Thanksgiving!